I am finally posting my first food blog post! I have been talking about this for so long most of you won’t believe I am finally doing it! Yes, I’m a procrastinator and tend to want everything just right before I share. So, to get this Blog going I’m going to try to break that habit. So, I cannot wait to start talking about food–my favorite subject!
For my first recipe I chose a new family favorite…One Skillet Chicken with Pasta. It tastes great and isn’t hard to prepare. I don’t like anything too complicated on a weeknight! I don’t know how it is in your house but when supper time rolls around here all eyes are on me. Oh, my college age daughters and husband are fully capable of feeding themselves but they usually wait for me to get home to see what I’m going to do before they start working on dinner themselves. hey always claim this is because I always come up with something better than they do. My One Skillet Chicken with Pasta dish was just such a dish. It was born from opening the refrigerator and seeing what we had and what might go together. The result was a keeper!
- 2 Tbsp. each olive oil and butter, divided
- 1 lb. chicken breast Tenderloins cubed or cooked chicken sliced into thin slices (You can also use a Grocery store prepared Roasted Chicken to speed things up)
- 1 Tbsp. kosher salt
- 1 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tsp. each of dry oregano, parsley, basil, thyme
- 1 Med yellow or sweet onion, diced
- 1 sliced and seeded green pepper
- 1 sliced and seeded red sweet pepper
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 12 oz. mushrooms, sliced
- 1 (15 oz) can drained diced tomatoes or 1 large fresh tomato, diced and seeded
- 1 cup chicken stock
- ¼ cup heavy cream or half and half
- 1 Tbsp. corn starch
- 1 Tbsp. sugar
- ½ cup Parmesan cheese
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 4 to 6 servings of your favorite Pasta (cooked)
- Fresh Parsley and shredded Parmesan cheese for garnish (optional)
Season the chicken with salt and pepper. Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil and 1 tablespoon of butter in a large fry pan or cast iron skillet over medium-high heat add the chicken and brown for 3 minutes on each side if uncooked. If using precooked chicken brown and heat until warm. Remove chicken and set aside on a plate.
Add the remaining 1 tablespoon of olive oil and butter to the skillet or fry pan. Add the onion and saute for 3 minutes. Add the garlic, green pepper, red peppers, and tomatoes. Saute for 2 more minutes. Stir in the spices, corn starch, and sugar.
Add the chicken stock and cream or half & half to the fry pan and stir. Transfer the chicken back to the pan and spoon some of the sauce and vegetables over top of the chicken. Cook, covered, on the stove top on medium heat until the chicken is cooked through and the sauce is bubbling, about ten minutes. Finally add the mushrooms to the pan and heat for 2 more minutes. Taste and add salt and pepper as needed. And lastly, as a cheese lover I am often guilty of adding just a little more cheese on top. Guilty as charged! But nobody is complaining at my house! Everyone here loves Parmesan cheese.
Serve hot, over your favorite pasta. I used angel hair pasta. Garnished with more Parmesan cheese and/or fresh parsley.